Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Beautiful Adoption Poem

Legacy of an Adopted Child

Once there were two women,
Who never knew each other.
One you do not remember,
The other you call "Mother."

One gave you a nationality,
The other gave you a name.
One gave you the seed of talent,
The other gave you an aim.

Two different lives shaped
to make yours one;
One became your guiding star,
The other became your sun.

One gave you emotions,
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile,
The other dried your tears.

The first gave you life,
The second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love,
And the second was there to give it.

One gave you up,
It was all she could do.
The other prayed for a child,
And God led her straight to you.

And now you ask me through your tears,
The age old question through the years;
Heredity or environment -
which are you a product of?
Neither my darling, neither;
Just two different kinds of love.


-Author unknown

4 comments:

Christina said...

Thanks for sharing. Good luck on your adoption journey!

Anonymous said...

Hi, that was beautiful!
I had lunch with Deb this week for her birthday- she looks great.
You need to come out for a visit and we can all get together.
xoxo
Shere

Lisa said...

Shere',
I'm envious that you got to have lunch with Deb. I can't just up and do that anymore. Yes I can't wait to come to L.A. and hang with you guys. It may just be with my new daughters when I do! Imagine that? I'm glad to hear Deb looks great...she always does! I will let you know when I have plans like that.

Debbie said...

I love this poem!!! Thank you for sharing!

Debbie